Monday, November 26, 2012

Ginger Wine Cocktails.

Today I had a bit of a revelation.....

So it turns out I have spent the better part of this year stressing about what to do next year. Once I started to realise that my two year course would come to an end in no time, I was surprised to find I had no back up plan. I mean yes I have long life plans (open a cafe, start a catering company, write for food magazines, open a bed and breakfast, teach yoga classes)......but no immediate ones. I had spent so much time and effort just getting myself to culinary school, working two jobs, saving all my money and then moving to Melbourne. So it hadn't really occurred to me until this year that pastry school would come to an end.....and I probably wouldn't yet be able to launch my career as a cafe owner/yoga teacher/writer just yet.



Suddenly its dawned on me that things will probably be ok, as I have landed an amazing job in a lovely pastry kitchen. Once I finally let myself believe this......I started to realise how much time I have wasted stressing over next year. I mean for goodness sake, I'm young, I'm single, and I'm in a wonderful city.....I should really just be having the time of my life pretending Im in the show 'Sex and the City.' 

In all honestly though....who really does that (I'm talking about who really lives without stress.....not who really pretends they are in the show 'Sex and the City' because I totally do that all the time)? Who really glides through this life without a worry? Without being at least a little scared that the things they are pouring their hearts into wont pan out for them.

 I sometimes think that when we are born, we should come with a little manual, or guide book to help us through life. Mine would say something like "Dear Cherry this is the guide book for an insanely creative, ambitious girl. Mainly you will bake a lot of cakes. You will fall in love A LOT (like every few weeks.....and sometimes just with strangers who make your coffee in the morning.) You're going to feel everything A LOT. And love your friends, family and lovers really really passionately. Here's some tips for you....Its all going to be ok. Sometimes your cakes wont rise. Sometimes you will wear outfits you really shouldn't have. Sometimes you wont fit into skinny jeans. All of this is ok. Just keep loving people so much, even when it hurts, stop worrying about life so much, and for goodness sake stop dating boys with dreadlocks who cant hold down a steady job (they smell)."

Unfortunately life doesn't come with one of these. If it did though, what would yours say?

Would it make you want to change something in your life?

What would you change?

I don't have all the answers to my own questions or worries......but I can make a lovely ginger wine cocktail. So while you ponder all this I suggest you make one.

Ginger Wine Cocktail

You will need:

  • Ginger wine
  • Sparkling water
  • Lime
  • Strawberries
  • Ice





What to do:

1.  Find a glass....any will do, it all depends of how much cocktail you need. When I wrote this post I needed a lot of cocktail....so I made them in a jar (don't judge.)

2. Fill one third of the glass with ginger wine.

3. Cut a lime into quarters. Squeeze half of the lime into the class and add whole.

4. Cup up some strawberries and add them to the mix as well.

5. Add ice

6. Top the glass up with ice and sparkling water,then give it a stir. 


If all of this doesn't make you feel super happy about life......I highly recommend that you go into a formal shop, tell them you have a Christmas ball coming up, and try on all the dresses. It makes you feel like your in 'Sex in the City.'


No comments:

Post a Comment