Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hazelnut and Chocolate Cupcakes

Im just going to start this blog post by saying: CAKE and NUTELLA.

Interested? 



I've had another crazy few days getting ready for a little catering job I had this week. It was so lovely to have the work......but I still have a head cold so the whole ordeal was just a little draining. Goodness I'm so board of being sick. I just want to put on my runners and go for a big 5k run, but instead Im stuck at home.




Yesterday when I went into my local coffee shop to get a latte one of the waitress' ran out the back to get me some cold and flu tablets. It was such a lovely gesture, and nice nice to think that even my local coffee shop is looking out for me, with coffee and flu drugs. Its so lovely when you realise that you have built a little community of people around you, who know, and care for you. 

Even when I went to get a haircut today my hairdresser was friendly and happy to see me. It was kind of lovely. (Ok just as a side note, I totally cut my hair today because thats what I do when I'm stressed or emotional or anything along those lines. Anyway, I have this really lovely hairdresser. I think its a mans barber shop, because I've never seen any ladies in there. They do do girls hair cuts and they only cost $15 but no girls go. I think I'm the only lady customer, but I love the place. Firstly because its crazy cheap. Secondly because its hilarious, because no one speaks english, so I just point to a picture of what I want while they yell at each other in Lebanese. Thirdly because the guy who cuts my hair is lovely and always assures me "I will make you look nice." At first I think he thought I was really strange because I would make him cut my hair really short at times, or shave one side of my head, but now he is used to me, and kind of views my hair ideas as comedic value. The place is great.)

Anyway.....I have veered way off topic. Lets talk about cake. Lets talk about Nutella. Lets talk about Nutella cakes. I got this recipe from the wonderful hummingbird bakery cook book. 

Hazelnut and Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients:

  • 100g plain flour
  • 20g coco powder
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
  • 40g butter at room temperature
  • 120ml milk
  • 1 egg
  • 120g hazelnuts and chocolate spread
Frosting:
  • 250g icing sugar
  • 80g butter, at room temperature 
  • 25ml milk
  • 80g hazelnut and chocolate spread

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 170.

2. In an electric mixer or kitchen aid with paddle attachment mix together the flour, sugar, coco, baking soda and butter until the consistency is like sand.

3. Slowly pour in the milk and mix on a low speed until incorporated.

4. Add the beaten egg and mix until incorporated.

5. Scoop mix into patty pans in a muffin tip and fill up to 2/3.

6. Bake for 20 minutes. 

7. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

8. To make icing beat together the butter and icing sugar until fully mixed and light in colour. 

9. Slowly pour in the milk and beat for another five minutes on a low speed.

10. Fold in the chocolate spread.

11. Cut a small hole in the top of each cake and place a dollop of chocolate spread inside each hole. 

12. Ice the cakes the the frosting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment