Monday, March 26, 2012

Sourdough blues



Life has been so very busy over the past week. Today was the first time that I had a chance to stop and have a rest (and that was after a test at school, 3 hours on an assignment and a 40 minute run.) Things just somehow piled up and needed doing. Tomorrow I think I might do what my mum calls "playing hooky" and skip school to do some more work on my assignments (I have know idea why she calls it that) and to bake some bread.

I haven't been having too much luck on the bread baking front of late, as I somehow managed to kill my sourdough culture. Despite the fact that I did some research on the different methods I still couldn't keep it alive. I think I'll put the whole sour dough thing on the back burner for a little while until I can buy a book on how to do it properly, and give myself an education on it! I'm not going to lie though, killing my sourdough culture really upset me. I really really wanted it to work.

I had all these ideas of all the wonderful breads I would make, and how amazing I would be with my own sourdough loaves. I woke up the day after I had my head shaved (still not too late to get the last sponsors in for it!!!) feeling incredibly sad. I couldn't work out what was wrong with me. I had had a lovely night with my friends, and I didn't think I was too upset about being bald. I searched my heart to see what was upsetting me so much. Maybe looking my hair was a bigger deal than I thought it would be. I looked in the mirror, and saw my short hair and realised it wasn't that. I'm not afraid of short hair. I kept sifting through my emotions. What was wrong?? Then it hit me............ it was my sourdough! I was upset that it hadn't worked out. Alas! What a thing though........

So I will come back to that endeavour when I have more time to put into it. Then I will concur it! I'm thinking of making something big and rustic tomorrow.......I'll have a look for a recipe and see what I can find. I'm sure a successful bread will cheer up my sourdough blues.

Hope no breads are bringing you down.......I doubt very much they are.


Also I found this picture online........and I don't care who lives here, but I'm moving in with them. A bad person could not possibly have such a lovely kitchen right?

No comments:

Post a Comment