Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Coconut Cup Cakes with Cream Cheese Icing





So today I decided to take the day off.......I haven't had one since monday (not the one we just had, but the one before that) so I was a little worn down. I had planned to do an assignment. I had planned to do my laundry......... but instead I decided to just do some baking.
I've noticed lately that something has changed about the way I cook. I'm so much more organised these days. Also I used to always always listen to music or have a tv show playing in the background. These days however I'm more than happy to bake for hours in silence. So bizarre, and kind of lovely. I can just loose track of time for hours and not think much at all........lovely. Its like meditating. Its like doing yoga (without the sweat). Its like painting (but without the mess.) I think its so extremely good for you.

Here's what I made on my day off today. They are a present for a friends birthday. They are super delicious.

Coconut cup cakes with cream cheese frosting
Ingredients:
  • 170g butter
  • 1 cup and 1/4 of sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of canned coconut milk
  • 1tsp of vanilla essence
  • 2 and 1/4 cups of plain flour
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
Frosting:
  • 115g butter
  • 225g cream cheese
  • 1 and 1/4 cups of cream cheese
  • 1tsp vanilla essence
  • 1tsp of coconut essence


What to do:
  1. Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy
  2. Add vanilla essence. 
  3. Add the eggs one at a time beating between each egg.
  4. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
  5. With electric mixer (or kitchen aid with paddle attachment) on a low speed add one third of the flour mix, half the coconut milk, one third of the flour mix, the remaining coconut and then the remaining flour mix. 
  6. Fold through the shredded coconut.
  7. Scoop the cupcake mix into cup cake papers filling them 2/3 full. 
  8. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 for 20 to 30 minutes or until cooked.
  9. Once baked take out of the oven and place on a cooling rack until room temperature. 


  1. To make the icing cream together the butter and cream cheese.
  2. Slowly add the icing sugar (sift the icing sugar first) and the essences.
  3. Ice your little cakes!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment