Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cherry Pie



I promised I'd post up my cherry pie recipe!!

Today I made a Cherry Pie. Its so lovely. I love making pie's and tarts. They are like jams, were you need no recipe....just soul. You can put whatever you can find, or have in them, and they always look so homey and beautiful.

Making it today I started to think about one of my friends mums back home. Every time we went to her house as kids, there would always be treats around. The kitchen would be filled with beautiful smells, and it was so exciting. Parties there were so much fun, because you could always count on there being loads of treats. The table would be decked out with cup cakes and lollies, and everything would look amazing. I loved it.

Its funny, some of us grow up wanting to be movie stars, looking up to famous people. Some of us want to be singers or writers, but I always secretly looked up to my friends mum, wearing pretty linen dresses, and driving her kids to sport and ballet, in her country style house.

I hope my life looks like that one day. I'm so excited for the idea of cooking someone dinner every night. Making my children's first birthday cake. Planning dinner parties. It seems like a very beautiful way to live.

When people come to my house for visits I would like to think they don't hope for treats, instead I would like them to expect them.

When the electrician came over today to fix our lights, I made him a cup of tea and set him out a cake. If life could be like this more often, I feel I would be very happy.

Cherry Pie Recipe:

For this recipe you the pie crust I posted up a few days ago. I'll just give you a rough idea of how I made this, because to be honest I didn't use any measuring cups and did it all by feel.

You will need:
  • 2 cups of cherries pitted. I used preserved ones my housemates mum had bottles over christmas, but you can use fresh or canned ones.
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla essence
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons of plain flour
  • 1/8 cup of cherry juice
  • pie pasty
  • One egg for brushing the top
  • A little extra brown sugar
What to do:
  1. Firstly Make sure all your cherries have no pips in them. There is nothing worse than biting into a pie and finding a pip!
  2. Add your juice, vanilla, and cinnamon.
  3. Mix together the flour and sugar and add to the cherries (the point of this is that your less likely to get lumps of flour.)
  4. Give everything a good mix and pour into a pie tin lined with pastry.
  5. Use some extra pasty to make a criss cross pattern on top.
  6. Brush the whole thing with some beaten egg, and then sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar.
  7. Bake at 180 for about half an hour.....Im not 100 percent sure on the time, because I've never actually timed it to be honest. You can tell when its ready though because the pastry will be a nice golden brown colour and it will smell amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment