Tuesday, July 5, 2011

chocolate brownies

So holidays have finally come around, and on my first day off I went into hibernation. I have been so tired lately that I promised myself that I didn't have to talk to anyone for a full three days if I didn't feel like it. I spent the day walking around the house, reading cook books, drinking tea and cooking feasts. I love holidays. I went for a run first thing in the morning and decided to go to yoga in the afternoon. This of course didn't happen as I was much too tired and really couldn't be bothered. At first I gave myself such a hard time over it. "How will you ever achieve anything in life if you can't even make it to a yoga class!!" I berated myself. After giving myself a hard time for a full ten minutes, I relaxed in the knowledge that it was my first day off in eight days, and maybe, just maybe I DESERVED a rest.

Around one in the afternoon I ventured out into the world to see what was going on. It was cold and windy, so I found myself a spot in my favourite cafe to get stuck into some biscotti and a trashy novel. I wandered around town a little bit and picked up some supplies from the supermarket. Here I ran into an Italian coffee maker that has decided we are good friends (I don't even buy coffee from his shop, but just walk it past every morning.) He came over to me in that charmingly sleazy Italian way and kissed me on the cheek (we have only had a two sided conversation once...as I really don't count the "ciao bella" he calls out to me every morning as getting to know each other) and I remembered quickly why I didn't want to leave the house all day or talk to people.

What a grouch I have become! On the up side though, I did some cooking today, and everything turned out well. For dinner I made a wasabi salmon steak wrapped in nori and served with peas. Then later, for a treat, I make chocolate brownies. So yummy.

Chocolate Brownies:
140g butter
200g dark chocolate
200g brown sugar
2tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
85g plain flour
75g walnuts

What to do:
  1. In a pot over very low heat melt together the butter and chocolate
  2. Whisk with an electric beater the eggs and sugar till pale.
  3. Sift in flour. Whisk till combined
  4. Stir in walnuts
  5. Add the cooked chocolate mix and mix in
  6. Bake at 160 for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment