Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yummy treats.

So the end of the term is nearly here...and I'm surprisingly relaxed. This time last term I was a nervous wreck, stressed to the max and drinking two glasses of wine every night to relax me so I could sleep. It's funny how much things (and people) can change in such a short amount of time. In the space of ten weeks I have turned into this confident and calm creature. The shift was so fast that it even surprised me. It's like all the pieces fell into place. Something clicked and everything just started making sense.

Now I am turning out chocolate tarts, making praline, stuffing quails, roasting racks of lamb, and rolling perfect shortcrust pastry. What of it?

It doesn't scare me as much as it used to. Recipes that once intimidated me are now old friends. Ingredients that I didn't understand have whispered me their secrets. I love it. It's just so satisfying.

I've realised that maybe all along it was just the fear, and not the recipes that scared me. Isn't that the case with everything? Most things in life are quite achievable if we can put our fear aside for a couple of minutes.

There are still so many things I need to perfect thought. It's all very well and lovely to be able to make an Italian meringue...but if you can't pipe it neatly, then what is the point? This soon will be my next challenge to work on. For now though, I'm just going to gloat and enjoy baking some lovely treats.

1 comment:

  1. I will gladly test every italian meringue you make until they are perfect!

    And Cherry darling, you have the most wonderful way with words.

    xx

    ReplyDelete