Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Exercise


I once dated a boy that whenever he spotted a girl he had dated (or liked) would always comment on her weight to me. "Look at her," he would say with glee, "she broke my heart and now she is fat!" To him it was like the ultimate karma. Like finally life had bitten her back on her big fat arse. When I broke up with this boy, I made a silent vow...I would never EVER give him the chance to say this about me. Unfortunately in his search for justice of the heart versus thighs he unconsciously created a monster...the ex-girlfriend who would go on in life to be successful, happy, and worst of all, thin.
Winter has however just rolled in with its nights spent curled up on the couch eating treats and drinking hot chocolate. Salads are replaced with roasts, sandwiches with big hearty home made pastries, water with coffee, and apples for muffins. Its a dieter's nightmare!
If you haven't noticed by now...I kind of like food. Not just the eating of food, but also the production. I love growing vegetables. I love farmers markets, reading recipe books, the passion that goes into creating something beautiful, the challenge, the interaction of people when they eat, and the soul of cooking. I love all the steps, all the procedures, and I love eating it. At times this can be a small problem.
I have a friend who hates exercise so very, very much that she has sworn off all treats. Her philosophy is that if she eats perfectly everyday she will never have to set foot inside a gym. My philosophy is the complete opposite. I am willing to sweat it out on a treadmill for hour after hour just to ensure that I can happily consume as many calories as my heart desires.
Over the last few months I have given myself a little break from the gym. I know its hard to believe, but when you work part time and study two full time courses exercise manages to work its way down to the bottom of the 'to do' list. Today, however, I went for a nice long run. I bought myself some new winter running pants (if I must sweat in public I will do it in style!) and forced myself out into the cold to get some damn exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment