Sunday, May 15, 2011

Crossants taught me a parabel

Last week at pastry school we made croissants. They are so beautiful and buttery, but insanely hard to make the first few times. I was trying so hard to get them right, but rolled my dough too thin, which made them come out a little doughy (instead of fluffy.) The teacher explained to us after class that the best sort of croissants are the ones with the most layers, that fall apart when you try to eat them. The french judge the quality of these pastries depending on how much you end up with all over yourself when eating them.

I thought this was such a quirky and beautiful concept and couldn't help compare it to my life at the moment. One of my biggest weaknesses is being much too harsh on myself. Always believing I can do more, always analysing, and being much too critical. I over think, and get caught up on the silliest things. We all do it at times. Spreading ourselves too thinly, and trying to avoid falling apart all over the place.

You see I truly believed that if I rolled my dough just right, it would be perfect. I got so distracted by the shape, and size (how things look) of it that I completely missed the point (which is of course the texture of the dough, in relations to the texture of the butter..........which is another story all together for another time.)

So I'm learning that perfect (acting and feeling) isn't always good. Sometimes we have to leave ourselves some room to fall apart, because thats where we find the beauty. Thats when we understand what we are all about and who we really are. Looking like we are holding everything together maybe isn't the most important thing in life. Its all about the layers on the inside.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favorite posts, thank you cherry the chef ;)

    ReplyDelete