Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Vegie Bar


Last night I took a little trip down to Brunswick street to visit one of my favourites.....The Vegie Bar. I have so many fond memories of the place, so I was quite excited to go. I've had some wonderful and terrible dates at this place. This however is besides the point.

The whole place looks like a converted barn and its covered in posters and information about gigs and events. Its a really indie/arty scene and the people watching is great. The menu is perfect if your vegan as no meat is served and they also cater for people with gluten senstitivites.

I had the gado gado which was nice (if you like vegetables... which I do.) The peanut sauce was really yummy and the vegetables were all cooked well. I went with my mum and dad and they ate a pizza and a salad, which were average.

The drinks list is great as you can choose from a range of organic wines or juices. I had a merlot that was made just out of melbourne and it was delicious.

I really like the place, and I want to love it... but I just cant. As nice as the food is, its really lacking something. Its a bit like the scene there... very cool, but lacking a bit of substance. Considering the prices you do really get what you pay for as the serves are huge and the meals are cheap. It's good but not great. I recommend a visit there, just because its fun; but don't expect an amazing vegetarian meal. The place is continually packed, and I get the feeling that the chefs are just too busy to put much love into the food.

Vegie Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment