Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hot cross buns.





My blog got a bit of a revamp today. My lovely sister went over it all and fixed everything up. So now its all shiny and new. I on the other hand spent a lot of my day baking. I made hot cross buns and some fresh bread.

I had the whole day purely to myself today. It was really lovely. I had plenty of time to think, and feel. I have such a lovely lifestyle here Melbourne, it sometimes makes me a bit sad that I have no one to share it with. I go to pastry school, live in a beautiful area, work selling cupcakes, have some lovely friends and spend my free time in cafes, cooking and writing. Its such a beautiful life. I feel like I really know how to live. I'm never the last person to leave the party, or out till the sun comes up...but I understand beauty in life. I know how to enjoy all the things that are important and that means a lot to me. Making friends has always been easy for me (because I will talk to anyone) so I'm never really alone. And although some of my dates have been disasters lately, when I meet someone I really care for, I know how to love with all my heart and show it.

I'm looking forward to meeting someone that I can share all this with. I'm learning very very very slowly how to be alone. I don't always enjoy the process. Mostly I'm much to busy to notice...but at times, gosh I hate it.

Today I did a bit of an explore of my new town. I looked in lots of boutiques at things I cant afford. It was nice just to wander around town. For the rest of the week I'll probably catch up with some friends and maybe even go out a night or two. I feel much more rested after today. I still have a bit to get done before term starts back again.

There is a bread maker in my new house so I decided to give it a bit of a go today. It was so wonderful! I couldn't believe how easy it was. I'm so used to making bread from scratch with all the proving, and rising, and knocking back and then again probing and rising. All I had to do was add all the ingredients and press start. The bread came out perfectly, with so little effort. I loved it. I'll probably give it a go making it in the oven too....because I think that sort of thing is fun (weird I know.)

Anyway I made some lovely chocolate chip hot cross buns today, as its Easter and all. Here is the recipe for you. They take a bit of time, but are quite easy, and its just so festive.

Hot cross buns

You will need:
  • 4 cups of plain flour
  • 14g of dried yeast
  • 1/4 cup of caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 and a half cups of dark chocolate chips
  • 40g butter
  • 300ml milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
For the crosses:
  • Half a cup of plain flour
  • 5 tablespoons of water
What to do:
  1. Sift the flour and sugar in together.
  2. Add yeast, eggs, and cinnamon.
  3. In a pot melt butter. Add milk and warm.
  4. Add milk and butter to the flour mix
  5. Add chocolate chips. Stir till mixed
  6. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for five minutes till soft and elastic.
  7. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel and put in warm place for an hour and a half or until it had doubled in size.
  8. Knock back the dough (punch it right in the middle) and then roll into 12 little balls. Cover with cling wrap and place aside to double again.
  9. Mix together the flour and water into a paste until smooth.
  10. Use a piping bag (or just cut a corner off a zip lock bag) to make make crosses on top of your buns with the flour mix
  11. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 for 20 to 25 minutes.
  12. Then bit into them while they are still hot and burn all the insides of your mouth...well thats what I did anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment