Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bagelicious




























Today was one of my first proper days off in a very long time. So I decided to give myself a 'me day', where I could do whatever I wanted (mainly nothing... though with me being some sort of crazy over-achiever, I'd probably spend the day cooking, walking and researching).

I decided to start the day by treating myself and going out to breakfast. A friend of mine recommended a place in town called Bagelicious so I set out to have a look.

As you probably have noticed by now, bagels are the new 'food trend' sweeping the industry. Every single little cafe has now added bagels to their menu's and a few bagel cafes (they just sell bagels) have popped up all over the city. I've read a couple of articles (in the foodie section of the newspaper) about people hating this new trend as they are only "boiled bread and nothing that special".

But this, I say, is not true! I'm totally on board and have whole-heartedly embraced the bagel with its many flavours and toppings. I understand that it may be very American but its also very yummy.

So I was quite excited when I walked into Bagelicious to find such a huge variety of well... bagels. The process is a little confusing the first time, as you order your coffee at one counter, then head to another counter to pick your bagel flavour (and there are so many), next you have to decided on your toppings, and then you are sent back to the counter where you ordered the coffee with a ticket and pay there. Its really hard to decided what to have as there are over ten different flavoured bagels to pick from, both sweet and savoury, and so many different topping options. You can just pick one from the menu or invent one yourself. The toppings include pestos, different flavoured cream cheeses, meats, salads, eggs, and roasted vegetables. I had a sundered tomato bagel filled with pesto, chicken, bacon, cheese and roasted capsicum.

My meal was quite yummy but incredibly greasy! I feel I would have appreciated it a lot more if I was hung over, and wanting to soak up some oily goodness. I think it may have been my own fault though for ordering something with both chicken and bacon on it (I was flustered by all the choices and the ridiculously good looking boys that work there. What do you order that says, "Hi, I'm new in town! I'm single and lovely!".... Uh, not bacon and chicken! But we live and learn). They gave me a little plate of pickles to cut through all the oil, and I must admit I found this quite exciting and ate them all. They do have the novelty thing down that's for sure.

The coffee used is 'Five Seed', which I must admit isn't my favourite. It wasn't incredibly well made either (some people really struggle with making a good soy latte.) But it was drinkable.

I enjoyed the experience, mainly for the novelty. I think I'll defiantly go back to try out a few different flavours before I form a set opinion on the place. There are a few other bagel cafes in the city I'd like to try out as well. So I might do that and then compare. I'll keep you updated on my search for the perfect bagel.

Bagelicious on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment