Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Eggplant and Tomato Dip

I'm moving houses tomorrow so I have spent my afternoon "packing up my snail shell". By now I'm a professional mover. Over the past few years I have become so good at it that it only takes a couple of hours to shift from one home to the next. Minimalism is the key! Anything I no longer need I through out. This is a concept I am very good at...but only when it comes to things. When It comes to the heart however, I tend to be a hoarder. Letting go of people I love, and have loved is a weak point of mine. For example I still keep in contact with my first boyfriend of nine years ago. Yes this is weird...but its the way I work(or have worked up until now). I have trouble letting go of the people who have helped shape my life so much up to this point and still love to have their input in my life.

This however stops now (apparently). I am sick of watching myself drag a one year relationships into three years. I am tired of breaking up with people I have already broken up with. But mainly I just don't want to hurt those I hold dearest to me....anymore.

So I'm right at the start again. This is one of the reasons I started this blog. To learn to cook as a single lady, and enjoy it. How I loath the title 'single' though.

So its back to cooking for myself again, something I have completely neglected of late. I'll give it another go. I must press on cooking, writing, loving, caring, even when the world feels a little bit empty.

I'm on holidays now and I plan on using the time to practice recipes, do some writing, sit in cafes, catch up on some reading, and go for long runs. I have pages and pages of recipes I want to try out but just haven't had the time. Hopefully I'll be back in the kitchen before i know it and distracting myself from my bruised heart. Im so tired of my own games..... I need to rest and recover.

So while I pack tonight and think, I'm going to cook myself some dinner out of the scraps of my pantry.

Eggplant and Tomato Dip (because thats all the vegetables I've go left)

You will need:
  • One eggplant
  • One tomato
  • One teaspoon of tahini
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes
  • 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt

What to do:
  1. Prick your eggplant all over with a folk, and place it directly onto the oven racks.
  2. Cook for 45 minutes at 180 or until its soft
  3. Dice your tomato, and crush your garlic
  4. When eggplant is cooked carefully lift in from the oven and scoop out its "guts" (Its such a savage word but I kind of like it) Dice.
  5. Then basically just mix everything together.

You could add some fresh herbs to this too. It probably really needs them but as I don't have any I will be going without. Its a pretty rustic dinner, and should be served with corn chips or some yummy turkish. It's probably enough to share between two.....I feel pretty a little low tonight and might just eat it all. Have a beautiful night.




1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'll have to make some of my own soon. xx

    ReplyDelete