Friday, August 30, 2013

Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate and M&M Cookies......... I know its crazy

This may come as a surprise but sometimes I'm not very good at talking about feelings. I know this may seem strange considering how much I talk about them on this little blog. From time to time however, saying the important things in life terrifies me.....as I'm sure at times it scares everyone as well.



So instead of being an adult and saying something lovely, or meaningful in a good sober way I must fall back on my default way of expressing myself.......cookies. Last week I wanted to express something to someone, but couldn't quite find the words so instead I gathered together all my favourite ingredients and baked them into a cookie.

These cookies are no light weight business. If you want to pack feeling into food these are the perfect vehicle for the job. Peanut butter get mixed in with oats, vanilla, dark chocolate chips and some m&ms just to seal the deal. I think if you gave these cookies to someone and they didn't understand the warmth packed into them......then you are obviously giving your cookies/emotions to the wrong person. However I baked these little treats, packed them into a paper bag and send them onto someone special.

The best thing about making these cookies is really the mix. I recommend you make them alone so no one is there to witness how much raw cookie dough you eat, or invite some of your most accepting friends around and unashamedly eat dough together. Whatever works for you.

The recipe comes from one of my most favourite cook books 'Baked, New Frontiers in Baking.' I think the boys who write this book are geniuses. They combine the perfect amount of chic with home-style baking and their recipes are so deliciously indulgent.

Monster Cookies
(or as I'd like to call them "I really have a big crush on you but an inability to communicate feelings at times, cookies." Thats too long for a cookie name though.)

You will need:
  • 1/4 cup of plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 2/3 cups of oats
  • 95g butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cups of white sugar
  • 2 1/2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp of honey
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of peanut butter (I use crunchy........because people who eat smooth peanut butter are weird right?)
  • 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup of m&ms (I use peanut ones because they are my favourites and that way if there is any left over I can eat them.)
What to do:

  • Make a cup of tea (this step is integral to the process.)
  • In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and oats.
  • In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar until light and creamy looking.
  • Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
  • Add honey and vanilla.
  • Add peanut butter.
  • Take out of the mixer and by hand mix in the flour and oat mix.
  • Add chocolate chips and m&ms.
  • Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 5 hours to set. In this time you can totally watch a heap of 'breaking bad' and come and 'check on' the cookie dough every so often (aka eat it from the bowl).
  • Preheat the oven to 190.
  • Roll cookie dough into 2tbs sized balls and press down lightly on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper. Leave room for spreading.
  • Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
  • Let the cookies cool on tray a little.
  • Transfer cooling rack...or your mouth.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the cookies work a treat! Its good to know someone else finds it hard to communicate their feelings.

    ReplyDelete