Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Glazed Chocolate Bundt Cake

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the how to get inspired about the things I want to do in life. I have such a long list of all the things I want to achieve. The thing is though, life is so busy, we can sometimes miss our opportunities. It's so easy to get caught up in day to day living (and watching episodes of breaking bad) that we can forget what is really important to us.
Lately I have been spending so much time working on my career, doing long days, doing long weeks, not getting enough sleep and running around like crazy. When one of the chefs at work asked me today what I actually wanted to be doing, I was a little stumped on what to answer to him. "Ummm make cakes?" I wanted to say, but let's be honest, that is only really skimming the surface of what I want to do, or why I do what I do. I by no means get up at 5a.m, nine days in a row just so I can bake cakes. There is so much more I wanted to express, but couldn't find the words for it because I had no practical plan. How do you tell someone you want to simply continue doing something beautiful, be part of creative communities, produce ethical food that makes a statement about who you are? Or feel strongly about feminism and the things that matter in life, unless you can actually explain how you are going to go about this.



So it is time to get inspired. Time to start doing things. It's action time. So put down your glass of wine (but please finish it first, there is no point in letting good wine go to waste) and make a plan. Lets get a little bit excited about life. Lets start this by making some cakes.
This is a pretty simple chocolate bundt cake I got out of the most recent Donna Hay magazine. Its super simple but just very elegant. I made it for a little dinner party at one of my girlfriend's house and it was pretty lovely.

Glazed Chocolate Bundt Cake. 

You will need: 
  • 330ml of milk
  • 1 cup of caster sugar
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 250g butter
  • 200g of dark chocolate
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 and 3/4 cups of self raising flour
  • 1/3 cup of dutch cocoa sifted
For the glaze:
  • 200g of dark chocolate
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup of liquid glucose
  • 1 tsp of vegetable oil.
What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 160
  • Grease a 2.75 lt capacity bundt tin (I have a pink one and it's glorious.)
  • In a large bowl mix together the milk, vanilla and both sugars.
  • In a small pot melt together butter and chocolate on a low heat. Stir from time to time to make sure the chocolate doesn't burn or stick to the bottom. 
  • Add the chocolate mixture, cocoa , flour, and eggs to the milk mixture and mix to combine.
  • Pour into the bundt tin and bake for one hour and ten minutes or when a squire is inserted, it comes out clean.
  • Let the cake cool completely before turning out of the tin.
  • To make the glaze melt together the butter, chocolate and glucose until melted.
  • Stir in the oil.
  • Place the cake on a cooling rack with a tray underneath.
  • Pour the glaze over the cake making sure the glaze is spread evenly.

Also.......let's be honest, I added chocolate chips to this cake as well, just to make it a little more decadent. It probably doesn't really need them, but I think chocolate chips improve most situations. If you want to do the same just about 3/4 of a cup along with the flour and cocoa.


(This last picture is totally not food related but how lovely are my new shoes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment