Friday, May 24, 2013

How to poach a quince.

Winter is upon us and making the whole of Melbourne feel cozy and indulgent. I have started to go into hibernation, and when Im working such long shifts in the city, I really cant think of anything better than staying in at night with a glass of red wine. Winter is bringing with it some wonderful things, such as quinces, silverbeet, and lovely citrus fruits. I've really fallen in love with quinces, a fruit from the apple family that I really havent explored before. They are super hard when you get them from the supermarket, and have to be peeled a poached. I've been putting them in tarts and crumbles and eating them on top of muesli and toast.

This weather makes me want to go to the markets and buy smelly cheese and think about planning dinner parties. It makes me want to make an afternoon snack instead of going for a long run in the park. It makes me want to go on a romantic picnic in the park where all the leaves are turning yellow (but I believe I have sent any gentleman callers packing recently.) It makes me want to cook a big pot of seafood and serve it with crusty bread to some of my favourite girlfriends. It makes me want to get in bed super early and turn off my phone. It makes me want to pour some tea. It makes me want to drink the nicer wine (none of that cheap stuff for me when its cold.) It makes me want to visit my parents and tell them I miss them. It makes me want to say pretentious things to my best friends new girlfriend (because in winter I think Im a big shot.....I'm not sure why.) It makes me so glad I have friends who will pick me up and take me out to brunch after I have been dancing until the wee hours of the morning on my days off. It makes me so happy.....in a very still way....that is sort of sad, but still sort of happy. It makes me want to teach you how to poach quinces....because they are lovely, and so are you.

Poached Quinces

You will need:

  • 2 or 3 quinces
  • Pot of simmering water
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Rind of one orange.
What to do:
  • Peel your quinces and cut out the core.
  • Cut into quarters
  • Bring your pot of water to the boil with the sugar, cinnamon and orange.
  • Turn water down to a simmer and add the quinces.
  • Leave to poach...this could take between 20 minutes to an hour depending on how ripe your fruit is. You can check the quinces by poking them with a knife. If it slides in easily they are done. 
  • Drain the quinces and serve however makes you happy

No comments:

Post a Comment