Thursday, January 31, 2013

Biscuit Brownies

Its just about the second birthday of this blog. I've really enjoyed two beautiful years of cooking and writing.....and I love the places that this little project has taken me. When I first started writing about food (and of course love) I did it in a conscious effort to learn how to enjoy cooking for one. I had become so used to cooking for dates and boyfriends that I had completely forgotten how to cook a meal just for myself. Tonight I put on a record, poured a glass of wine and sat down to a big bowl of smoked salmon and mushroom ragu. It was delicious, but the best thing about it was how content it made me feel.

There are so many moments in my life at the moment where I am just so filled with joy by all the tiny bits and pieces that make up who I am and how I live my life. It makes me so incredibly happy to have this tiny little life, in this tiny little house, and a big scary job. One day hopefully I'll get around to writing a book about the adventures of a small pastry chef who spends all her time baking cakes and falling in love with the wrong people.......but until then I'll share with you a lovely recipe.

This recipe is from a wonderful new cook book I bought recently and have been so inspired by it. All the recipes are just so very beautiful and interesting. I'm really excited to make the maple bacon cupcakes! 

I made these cookies the other night when I was feeling a little blue. Ok lets be honest......I was feeling a little hung over, and I just needed something to help me feel a little grounded. Making cookies always brings me back to earth. So I made these and they made me quite happy.

Biscuit Brownies
From 'Sweet Tooth'

You will need:

  • 160g of plain flour
  • Half a tsp of baking powder
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 30g unsalted butter
  • 300g dark chocolate
  • 4 eggs
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 30g flaked almonds
What to do: 


  1. Mix together the plain flour, salt and baking powder.
  2. With a double boiler melt together the chocolate and butter.
  3. In an electric beater, beat together the eggs and sugar until pale and slightly thick.
  4. Fold the egg mix into the chocolate mix.
  5. Stir in the flour.
  6. Place in the fridge to set for a minimum of 40 minutes.
  7. Preheat oven to 180
  8. Roll the cookie dough into desert spoon size bowls and press slightly onto a tray lined with baking paper (leave room for spreading.)
  9. Sprinkle with almonds.
  10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
  11. Allow to cool on the tray. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment