Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pastry Kitchen

This week my life has fallen into a pattern of work, work placement, running, cocktails, and sleep. Honestly time is going by so crazy quickly! I started to feel so bogged down by this routine, and have been trying to find ways to keep life light, and beautiful still. 

Today at placement I was given the task of making all the flowers to go on top of the cakes for high tea.  All day I was hunched over a bench cutting out flowers, paining flowers with icing dust, and piping tiny dots in the middle of each flower. Sometimes I feel like they give you the worst jobs at placement just to test you, and see how you react. If you get quite and moody they are never going to take you seriously, but if you get on with the job as quickly as possible, your likely to earn a little bit of respect. So I quickly and happily worked my way through hundreds of flowers today and thanked both chefs when I was done........the things you do when you are on the bottom ranks in a kitchen!!



Although if I am honest, I really didn't mind too much at all. Its just so lovely to be inside that pastry kitchen. There are three of us most days (all girls) working away quietly. In the big kitchen next door you can hear men yelling and swearing and running around, but in the pastry kitchen we have music playing, and sometimes girly chats. The pastry chefs also let me eat macaroons! 

Have have been so busy all week I haven't even gotten into the kitchen to work on some new recipes. I've got some lovely ideas for some new sugar cookie designs, and a few cakes I want to try out.......but for now its cocktail hour! Night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment