Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Coconut Jam Heart Cookies

 Some days I just want everything in life to be pretty. I want my unit not to look so old and run down. I want to wear my favourite black dress all the time. I want to open the pantry and see all the ingredients I need to bake the perfect cake. I want to wear Chanel. I want a new handbag. I want all my skinny clothes to fit me. I want my fake pearls to be real. I want Champagne in the fridge. I want blueberries for breakfast. I want to look french......I want to be french.

In reality though there are runs in my stockings, the fridge is empty, I buy the cheapest wine with the last of my money, I drink green tea instead of anything sparkling, bald girls do not look french, and I wake up with the flu.

Reality isn't always fair. So this is what I do:

  • I decorate my room so it is as neat and pretty as can be.
  • I put on some red lipstick
  • I wear my most french looking hat
  • I scrub my apartment until it sparkles
  • I drink so much tea......and pretend its the expensive kind (not the kind you get on sale for $1 at the supermarket)
  • I try to make my hair sit flat, instead of sticking right up into the air like I have been sticking forks in the toaster.
  • I put on my fake pears
  • I carry on with life
  • But most of all I bake something beautiful.
Sometimes having beautiful things and luxuries is a bit hard on a pastry chefs budget, but you can always make a wee bit of your own beauty. After all Coco Chanel was just a dancer before she made it in the fashion scene.......so really we all must start somewhere.


Making these cookies certainly brings a bit of beauty to your life. They just feel so lovely and pretty.


Coconut Jam Heart Cookies (Adapted from a Donna Hay Recipe.)

You will need:

  • 125g soft butter
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp of vanilla essence
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut 
  • Icing sugar (for decoration)
  • 1/2 cup of Jam.......I used boysenberry but you can use any jam you like, just try to use something thats good quality. 


What to do:
1) Messure out all your ingredients
2) Sift together the plain flour and baking powder
3)In an electric mixer (or with a hand held beater) cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4)Beat in egg and vanilla
5)Fold though the dry ingredients, and work into a dough.
6) Wrap the cookie dough in some cling wrap and place in the fridge to rest for half an hour.
7) On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to about 3 cm thick.
8) Use a round cookie cutter to cut circles.
9) Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts out of half of the cookies.....make sure you have an even number otherwise you will have to eat the mismatched one.
10) Bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes.
11) Place on a cooling wrack to cool completely.
12) Dust half of the cookies with icing sugar.
13) Spread the other half cookies with jam.


14) Sandwich the cookies together. 

15) Let them make your life a wee bit more fancy.

2 comments:

  1. You are adorable and yes just as sweet as your cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry, thankyou, today is the perfect day for heart sweetness. Love Fia (a friend of Phoebe) xx

    ReplyDelete