Monday, April 16, 2012

Flourless blueberry and almond cake


Where have I been hiding the last week? I have been high up above the streets of little Collins Street sipping tea and eating toast. Such luxuries!



This past week Iv'e come down with an awful flu that has left me feeling a bit limp so I've been taking life pretty slowly. Luckily my parents are in town so I haven't had the added worry of actually having to get out of bed to look for food, go shopping, and clean the house. Instead I've been tucked up in a little hotel room overlooking lane ways and right near hardware lane, and my favourite macaroon shop. This would be glorious if only I was well enough to eat some macaroons!!

Its so lovely having family around, and we have been venturing out on little explorations such as the CRES organic farm and cafe, record shops in brunswick and a few little cafes. Mostly what I love though is waking up in the morning, making a pot of tea, having some toast and jam, and reading the paper that my dad has gone down to the shops to buy for me. Its one of my favourite rituals, and the three of us do it every time my parents are in the city. Its one of my fondest memories I take from their visits, not the eating out, or little treats...........but just sitting with them quietly in the morning eating tea and toast.

Well i have been promising recipes all week, and haven't been delivering the goods. But today I will!!! I have this beautiful almond and blueberry cake that is gluten free and just delicious! I made it recently for a dinner party at a friends house..........and after 2 courses we still all managed to eat two slices of cake each. I blame the amount of wine consumed, and the fact that the cake is sooooo good.

Flourless Almond and Blueberry Cake
165g caster sugar
6 eggs separated
Zest of one lemon
1 tsp of vanilla extract
125g butter, melted and cooled
2 cups of almond meal
pinch of salt
half a cup of blueberries
Berries and natural yoghurt to serve

What to do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170. Line and grease a cake tin.
  2. Set aside a tablespoon of sugar. 
  3. With an electric beater, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  4. Reduce the beaters to low speed and mix in the essence, butter and lemon.
  5. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until bubbly, add the one tbs of sugar and beat until soft peaks form. 
  6. Fold the almond meal though the egg yolk mix
  7. Fold one spoonful of the egg whites though the almond and egg yolk mix to loosen it up. Then fold though the remaining egg white......do this carefully so as not to loose all the air! Pour into the cake tin
  8. Push in the blueberries.....they will happily sink a little bit.
  9. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
  10. Let the cake cool completely and then top with yoghurt, and berries.
  11. Eat two serves......because I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment