Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sourdough bread......and life.

There is no denying that fact that today was long. I work up at six and went to pastry school, went from there to work and didn't finnish until six. By the time I was home I was exhausted and knew I had been ridiculously grumpy all day.

Today was a day of compromise. I promised myself if I got out of bed, I could go buy a coffee before school. I had the money to buy this coffee because instead of going to the laundry mat yesterday I had compromised, and hand washed my clothes (the day before pay day sucks.) I promised myself that if I got through my business class in the morning I could have a hot chocolate in my bread, and promised myself a big glass of red wine if only I could make it through the day.

I made it, although it was a struggle. When I took my first sip of wine for the night I took a huge loud sigh. Finally, I was at the end of this day.

The truth is, everything I did today I was unhappy with, because I wanted to be somewhere else. I wanted to be at yoga, while I was in class. I wanted to be shopping while I was at work.....but most of all I wanted to be baking all day.

Sometimes life isn't always how we want it to be. I want rapid change. I want to snap my fingers and be something else. I want to be the person I want to be, and its frustrating not to be that. I think snap decisions will change my life, but I'm learning slowly that its the everyday choices that make a difference. Slowly slowly, I am growing into the person I want to be.

Very similar to this is the sourdough culture I'm making. I've decided to try my hand at the old school style of making bread, and so far I'm loving it. It takes about a week to develop a culture before you can even make a dough....... I love the fact that ever day you have to feed it as it develops into something beautiful you can turn into bread. Hopefully my life is like this. Hopefully its growing, developing, right to where I want to be.

Once I've got my sourdough perfected, I'll write a blog post on it for you, because its easier than you would think, and supper rewarding!!

No comments:

Post a Comment