Monday, March 5, 2012

I give a lesson on business.........really I do, and its wonderful!

As some of you may know, I have recently been studying (failing) a business course that is compulsory for my diploma of hospitality. So far I have been loving every aspect of pasty school.........up until now. I loved learning how to bake bread, I loved the teachers, I loved the uniform, I loved making cakes and I could even put up with the early starts. Business class, however, came along and wrecked all this for me. Its not so much that I don't like math, its more that I just don't understand it. I often struggle to comprehend things that I don't find relevant to my own life. I know that business is fairly simple, I know I am capable of understanding it, but I just don't 'get it'.

I have been staring blankly at my computer screen all day trying desperately to pump out this assignment (which may just have been due today.) It involved picking out a business, finding information on their assets, liabilities, profit, and loss, and then interpreting this information. Next I needed to find out how this information would effect the business and also how it would effect the individual share holders. To me, this was gibberish. They may as well have given me a french assignment (I don't speak french.)

From 10.30 am to 4 pm I sat reading information. Information that had no reverence to my life. How could I make myself understand this? How could I make myself enjoy this? And then it clicked. I made a balance sheet for my life, and suddenly I understood how balance sheet for big business's work. Its a little quirky, but it totally worked for me.

It got me thinking, maybe these big corporations are onto something. They are constantly reassessing where they are at in order to make sure there liabilities (money they will have to spend) don't out way there assets. Its a system to keep the business in check, to make sure they can sustain there spendings, and run smoothly. I started to wonder why we as people aren't doing the same thing, with our lives too.

Some days I feel like there are too many liabilities in my life that are draining from my owners propriety (overall happiness) and its making my balance sheet (life) not balance.

So here is my Balance sheet at the moment:

ASSETS:

My family (who always have my back)
My friends (who are super supportive)
My lovely little unit, and living with caring people (you know who you are)
Having enough money to buy a coffee from the coffee shop
Feeling good about life
Kitchen Aid (totally an asset, as it makes baking so easy)
Eating yummy healthy food
Writing
My cozy red jacket which I stole of an ex boyfriend
Red lipstick

Liabilities:

Not getting enough sleep
Drinking too much red wine (oh how it makes my head hurt some mornings)
Feeling a little blue
Stockings with holes in them
Business assignments that I just don't understand.
Ex boyfriends (at one point in my life I thought these were an asset.....totally wrong there)
My high waisted pants........why are they always one size too small for me!!!!!
Cakes that don't turn out

Owners propriety: This is basically just you. Its what you bring to the plate. Your awesomeness, that your naturally born with. Your everyday existence.

So this is the rule with balance sheets........ Your assets - your liability = your owners equity.

For example, say your liabilities are crazy high, and your liabilities are super low, it means your balance sheet will be out of balance and this will in turn effect your owners equity. Are you following me here?

I think the important thing in life is not to let your liabilities get out of hand. If you have too many, you need to start culling a few of them. Work out what is effecting your overall happiness, and work on that. Some liabilities we simply don't need!

So thats how I understand business.....and life.

I bed you didn't see a business lesson coming? Just keeping you on your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment