Saturday, March 17, 2012

Healthy grain bread.

What makes you feel the most like yourself? I know for me its when I'm in the kitchen, or when I'm having friends over for a dinner party. Everyone seems to have a place, or something that just makes them feel completely happy or at ease. And then there are those who seems to be comfy in there skin (lives, clothes, jobs, and relationships) all the time. Gosh I envy these people. I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about. They just don't seem to care what anyone things, and fit in everywhere. They are unafraid of everything and are just so unbelievable cool. I've always wondered what these people have.....what their magic trick is that makes theme so at ease.

Lately I've been learning, that you can only get to this place in life when you truly stop caring. When it doesn't matter what people think, or say, you become free to do whatever you like, and well.....thats unbelievably cool. Recently I spent the decent part of my night trying to explain to a friend everything I was doing. They wanted to know why I was shaving my head (EEEkkkk its only one week before I shave my head for 'Be brave and Shave')? Why I spent time with the people I spend time with? Why I spend my free time baking bread (ok I get that shaving your head is a little out of the ordinary at times....but who the hell questions why you make bread from scratch....my question for you is: Why aren't you making bread from scratch)? Why I felt the way I felt about life. I tried to justify every single one of these questions, and by the end of the night went away feeling sad. Everything I wanted to do had to be explained, and I really started to care what this person thought. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that the only person in life you really need to impress is yourself. Everyone has different standards, and everyone has a different idea on whats important in life. You however are the one making the rules for your life. So get comfy. Settle into your skin, settle into your decisions, settle into your believes, because there is nothing quite so unbelievable awesome as doing whatever makes you happy no matter how quirky that is. 

So really the secret is kind of a contradiction. The less cool you get the more awesome you get. Well I must be getting pretty fantastic....... because some days, I'm just such a dag. 

Also, do yourself a favour........make some bread. Its so good for your soul. It makes you feel good inside (unlike how you feel when you steal your housemates beers.....again. I'll buy you new ones I swear! Or at least pay you back in heaps and heaps of baked goods!) 




Healthy Grain bread.

I've been making this recipe and eating it for my breakfasts every morning. Its such a good way to start the day. Its so very healthy that it wouldn't even matter if you layered peanut butter and honey on top of it.......every morning....not that I do.....but just say you did.......I don't think it would be a bad thing, and I wouldn't judge you. 

What you will need:
  • 1/8 cup of warm water
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 packet (7g) of dried yeast
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • About 1/3 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of honey
  • 1 tbs golden syrup
  • 1/8 oil (I used olive)
  • Half an egg
  • 1/2 tbs of lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
  • 2 and 3/4 cup of wholemeal flour
  • Pinch of salt
What to do: 
  1. Firstly, take a big breath. Making bread isn't scary....its easy.
  2. Place the 1/8 cup of water with yeast and sugar in the bottom of a bowl and leave for 10 minutes until it turns bubbly.
  3. Add the milk, water, honey, egg, syrup, oil lemon juice, oats, seeds, and a bit less than half the flour. Give it a good mix. Place a damp towel over the bowl and leave for 30 minutes to rest.
  4. After its had its nap, add the rest of the flour, and knead. If you have a kitchen aid it will only take about 4 minutes with the dough hook attachment, if not you will be doing it by hand for about 10 minutes. Its good therapy. Knead the mix until its elastic and smooth. If you need to add more flour so it isn't too sticky go ahead.
  5. Place dough back into bowl and cover with towel again. Place it in a warm spot and let it double in size.
  6. Once it has doubled punch it in the middle to knock all the air out of it. Give it a 30 second knead.
  7. Roll the dough into a log shape and place in an oiled bread tin.
  8. Cover it again, and let it double in size (this will probably take about one hour to one and a half hours.)
  9. Once it has doubled in size bake in a preheated oven at 180 for 25 to 35 minutes. It will be golden on the top when its ready and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. 
  10. Eat it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment