Monday, October 10, 2011

chocolate souffle

I have written and not posted so many blog posts lately. Nothing has been sitting right and everything feels just a little bit off. I have what's commonly known as writers block...but not just with my writing. It has filtered down into every aspect in my life to the point where I can't paint, draw, write, cook, create...or even process anything on a very deep internal level.

It has been killing me. My cooking has suffered, and I haven't tried a new recipe in weeks. I've been racking my brain trying to work out what was going wrong. What could I do to change this? Did I need to change my lifestyle? Change my hair? Get a muse?

Last night I lay under the stars discussing with a friend the value of being "real" in life. In feeling. In being present. In being honest. I think its' one of the scariest things we must face at times. It's so easy to lie to the rest of the world but things truly get messy when we start lying to ourselves. Eventually, we cant decipher between what we truly believe and what we have told ourselves to believe.

So, like a cold shower, I'm in for a nice big dose of reality. It scares us all but it's what makes us truly beautiful and unique. Hopefully, I will be inspired enough and shaken out of my apathy so I can continue creating lovely heart-felt desserts and soul-warming feasts.

Wish me luck.

To sweeten all this reality here is a souffle recipe...because how can life seem harsh when you have a ramekin of airy chocolatey goodness?

Chocolate Souffle for two...sounds like a start to a very good night doesn't it?

You will need:
  • Two ramekins
  • Soft butter for greasing the ramekins
  • Half a tbs of caster sugar plus a little extra
  • 90g good quality dark chocolate
  • 75ml of thickened cream
  • 2 eggs separated
  • 1 egg white
What to do:
I understand that there is a lot of fear surrounding the mighty souffle. All that rising and flopping and what not, but really they are quite simple. It's all about treating it gently (like a lady) and serving it as soon as it's ready.

  1. Turn your oven on to 220.
  2. Grease your ramekins and sprinkle them with the extra sugar so it covers all surfaces. Place them in the fridge (ummmm I'd like to say I know why....but I don't. Just do it. It helps with something technical.)
  3. Place the chocolate and cream in a pot and stir over a low heat until the chocolate has melted.
  4. Take off the heat and transfer into a bowl. Stir in the egg yolks (make sure its not boiling or it will cook the eggs.)
  5. With an electric beater whisk the 3 egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Rain in the sugar and continue to whisk until it is glossy (just like making a meringue.)
  6. Fold one tablespoon of the egg white into the chocolate mix. This will loosen it up. Fold in the rest of the egg white, very gently. DO NOT OVER MIX (at this point over mixing is like calling a boy ten times after your first date...it will flop completely.)
  7. Fill the ramekins just below the rim and place in the oven to cook for 8 to 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment