Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Meringues


Over the last month, I haven't been able to help but wonder if I have done something terribly wrong for karma to get back at me. So much in my life at the moment seems to be part of some elaborate scheme to stop me from moving forward. There has been a funeral, exhaustion, back aches, arthritis, boys lying to me, and the most recent one, food poisoning. Just when I thought I could finally get back to 'normal' life, I have had to spend two days in bed clutching my stomach and whimpering (and just for a side note, it wasn't from my cooking). Nothing seems to be falling into place and I feel so terribly discouraged. I just want my life back. I'm hoping desperately that things will fall into place soon, but until then I'm curled up in bed, too sick to eat, watching trashy shows, and cursing my ex-boyfriend (another story for another time.)
On the up side, before I got sick and everything fell in a heap I got really inspired to make meringues. They are so pretty and lovely. Here is the recipe I've been using.
You will need:
4 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp white vinegar
What to do:
Beat your egg whites till soft peaks form
Add sugar slowly while beating
Add vanilla and vinegar
Beat until glossy and holding its shape, this may take a while
Preheat oven to 100
Pipe (or spoon) onto grease-proof paper
Bake till crip on the outside.
Turn off oven and leave them in there to cook for 2 hours
Serve by themselves or make mini pavlovas by adding fruit and cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment