Monday, June 6, 2011

Prosciutto wrapped lamb with baby carrots and quince paste

Today is a cold and windy Melbourne day. Most people are rushing around hating the weather and trying to keep out of the cold. Not me though, I love the rain. There is something so glorious about baking on a cold wet day. School finished early today so I was able to go home and do some cooking.

I've been really enjoying having a bit of free time lately. I'm not sure if my workload has gotten lighter or I have just become more used to it. Life as a student is so very different to working full time, and its taken me a while to get used to having a bit more time on my hands. Last year I was so preoccupied with work and cleaning up after smelly boys that I hardly had a moment to stop. I somehow managed to keep a full time job while cleaning the house, cooking for two, doing the laundry, having a social life, redecorating the bedroom, going to the gym and sending my partner off to work with a pack lunched (because of this I'm not really scared of what life as a mum will one day be like, I've already had a pretty good taste of it.)

When I first moved to Melbourne I was unsure what to do with this time and booked up every living moment with friends, dates, gym sessions, and work. I'm slowly learning how to relax though, and still get everything done that I want to. In saying that I did spend my afternoon cooking creme brulee, going for a run, ironing my whites, practicing recipes, reading recipes, doing my food shopping, and doing some cleaning.

I made a really yummy dinner that I loved. I'll put the recipe up so you can make it. I'm pretty wrecked now after my day. I can't wait to curl up in bed and not think about food for a whole 7 seven hours while I sleep....unless I dream about it.

Prosciutto wrapped lamb with baby carrots and quince paste.
What you will need:
  • Two pieces of lamb backstrap
  • 8 slices of prosciutto
  • 2 tbs of quince paste (you can find this with the dips in the supermarket)
  • One bunch of baby carrots (I love them)
  • One whole knob of garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 2 sprigs of rosemary
  • Olive oil
What to do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 200. Wash your baby carrots but leave skin on. Place them in a baking tray. Drizzle over the oil. Add seasoning, sugar, and rosemary. Break up the garlic and add the cloves whole to the tray. Bake for 15 minutes
  2. Place the back strap on the bench. Spread on the quince paste and wrap in prosciutto.
  3. Place meat on top of the carrots.
  4. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is cooked to your liking
  5. Serve with a mash or polenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment