Monday, June 6, 2011

Melbourne's good food and wine show

To be honest I was a wee bit disappointed with Melbourne's Good Food and Wine Show. I was so excited to go, and experience it, but really it was a bit of a let down. I guess I expected it to be a bit of a classy event, with local chefs roaming around sourcing out new ingredients and suppliers. I expected to see amazing food everywhere, and find that everyone was as passionate about cooking there as me. Instead however, it was bogans and middle aged ladies wondering around looking for free samples and drinking the taste tester wines.

Ok I'm going to level with you. I was in a pretty bad mood when I arrived at the festival. The night before I went to a friends party and drank three glasses of red wine on an empty stomach and was really feeling the effects of it the next day. I also spoke to my ex (yes I know I shouldn't have called him) a couple of days earlier and was feeling a little down. I cant blame the festival for me having a broken heart (still!!) and feeling hung over (lightweight!) It did let me down though. The produce being sold there wasn't that amazing (I guess I wasn't expecting muesli bars being promoted) and despite the fact that there was samples everywhere I couldn't find much to eat. There was a restaurant if you wanted a sit down meal, and also a bbq, but nothing much to just snack on. Subsequently I drank way too much coffee and ate a big salty pretzel. This still didn't cheer me up though.

I did watch one chef do a demonstration which was great. The ladies behind me however were so distracting wobbling around (yes wobbling is the perfect word) trying to score giveaways. I would love to say that I think its great that so many people came, and would have left with a better understanding of cooking and food. However I really don't feel this was the case. I would also love to pretend I was happy for all these wine guzzling, sample stealing festival goers, but I was not! Bogans exist everywhere. I understand this. I don't like this, but I except this. For one day though, just one day, I wanted them to leave this sensitive little, hungover, broken hearted foodie in peace to test some jams, drink some coffee, get some cooking tips and go home.

So I left. I went home. I sulked a bit. I baked some rhubarb and blueberry pies.......and then finally I cheered up. The bogans can have the damn festival I decided, because I had rhubarb pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment