Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pork Dumplings with Asian Greens

It is finally the weekend, and I feel a bit adrift. After being so busy lately, I sometimes don't know what to do with my free time. I searched my room for a book to read today, but was surprised to find I didn't own any. Now don't take that the wrong way. I love reading, and I read all the time. My room is filled however with cook books. They are stacked high next to my bed, next to my chair and on my table. My teacher laughed at me this week when I admitted that I sometimes fall asleep with a cookbook in my bed. It doesn't take a psychologist to recognise that I'm filling a very man shaped whole in my life (and my bedroom) with my career. Is this healthy? I don't know. Do I care? No! Of course not! Well maybe a little. Missy Higgins doesn't seem to be the only one "fearing she's the bad fruit nobody buys."

I keep telling myself maybe if I went out more I would meet someone, but its so cold this time of year, and I have nothing to wear, and and and and. I have a thousand excuses all leading to the same point. I really don't want to. The only "Meat Market" I want to go to is my local butcher, to buy ingredients for dinner. I fear that no one is going to knock on my door and say "Ummm, is there a sexy blond chef that lives here? I'd like to take her on a date." (Although once a complete stranger called me by mistake and ended up asking me out...true story!)

The real issue is...am I lonely? The real answer is...yes, just a little bit. This has nothing to do with being alone. I spent all morning with a friend, and now have the afternoon to myself. I can't fill every moment of my life with people. So I am confused! Is there anything wrong with spending time alone? I'm not sure. I actually quite enjoy it, most of the time.

So while I work out my head and my heart I'll cook myself a dinner for one. Here is what I'll be eating tonight. Its a recipe for two...but ummm...sigh, oh well. Enjoy

Pork Dumplings with Asian Greens

What you will need:
  • 250g minced pork
  • 2 sprigs of spring onion
  • 1 tbs coriander paste
  • 1 tsp of ginger finely grated
  • 1 tbsp of Hoi sin sauce (find it in the asian section
  • 1 pack of dumpling wrappers (these are found with the fresh pasta in the cold section)
  • Half a cup of chicken stock
  • 2 cloves of garlic crushed
  • 1 bunch Chinese greens (like bok choy)
  • Soy sauce, to garnish.
What to do:
  1. Mix together mince, sauce, garlic, ginger, sliced spring onion, and coriander. Season
  2. Take your dumpling wrapper, place some of the mixture in the middle. With your finger, rub some water around the edge of the wrapper. Pick up the sides and squish them together to enclose the mixture. If you pleat the edges they make more of a dumpling shape, but you can do it however you like.
  3. Heat a one teaspoon of vegetable oil in a nonstick frying pan. Place your dumplings in the bottom. Fry for about four minutes until they are crispy and a little golden on the bottom.
  4. Add your greens to the pan, and your stock. Put a lid on the pan and cook for about five minutes until the greens are steamed through and the insides of your dumplings are cooked
  5. Serve the dumplings on top of the greens. Sprinkle with some soy sauce.
  6. Eat them alone, or with someone else...whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment