Friday, May 6, 2011

Cake is wrecking my life...


Pastry school wasn't all roses today. We were doing such delicate work and I was coughing and spluttering all over the place. I felt so sick all day, and just couldn't seem to pull everything together. I made so many mistakes and half way through the day felt like crying into my melted marzipan. Lunch time came and went but I was too behind to stop for a break. Around one, I decided to take five minutes to eat much lunch, so I could sit down for a little rest. I opened my lunch box......and found my curry had grown mould. This week has been so hectic that I thought that the lunch I packed on monday night was packed on thursday night. Turns out the whole week had passed without me remembering to take it (I have no recollection of what I ate on the other days.) So I sculled an orange juice and headed back to class. To be honest I was so sick I could hardly tell if I was hungry or not.

There was one redeeming factor of the day though......my cooking partner. I initially picked him at the start of the year to avoid being a loner, when the two girls I had made friends with paired off. We haven't worked with anyone else since. Despite the fact he can speak next to no english (today we had a conversation that went like this:
Him: do theses belong to the teacher?
Me: Sorry what?
Him: Do these belong to the teacher?
Me: Sorry I have no idea what you just said
Him: Are they the teachers
Me: Did you just ask me if they were made in china? I really have no idea where they are made sorry.
Him: NO the teacher!
Me: Oh sorry. Yeah they are the teachers.) he is a life saver, and so so sweet about everything. Today when I made the macaroon mix too runny he insisted that it was his fault, when I scrambled the custard he told me that we had heaps of time on our hands so it really didn't matter (lies), when I couldn't pipe straight he gave me a lesson, and when I insisted I needed to sit down for five minutes he told me he didn't want a break because he would eat at work, so he started on the dishes.

Its saved my day having such a good friend. I don't think I would have made it through the day without him.

So I'm all curled up in bed for the night, not thinking about how much I need to practice my pastry skill. I'll put up a picture of my petit fours.....but you must promise to pretend that my piping work is neat, the macaroons aren't too big, the pastry isn't overworked and the chocolate dipping isn't messy. Alas.....so much to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Pastry school is exactly where I need to go! Your petit fours look gorgeous to me & a bit of a wonky line doesn't make them taste any different. Celebrate the imperfections...I do..but then I kind of have to as I'm a bit of a heavy handed chef, I like to think of it as a rustic finish :-)

    Looking forward to seeing more of your creations x

    ReplyDelete