Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spanish breakfast


Today was another day just like the rest. Except today was Easter. I know that this should be wonderful and lovely and all that, but really it just made me a bit homesick. This time last year I was nearly engaged, and my partner made me an egg hunt around the whole house. Life is so very different now. I worked today and then came home for a rest. I've been feeling a bit sick for the past few days. So I'm just having a quiet night reading the sunday paper, cooking dinner and drinking turkish apple tea. Its good....

School starts back in a few days and I'll be back to the books. Holidays didn't last nearly long enough. I think next holidays if I have the money I might make a little trip to Tasmania. Its so very close, and the ferry that takes you there is only about ten minutes drive from my house. I've heard that they have an amazing food and wine scene, so I'm quite keen to check it out. I love taking little trips away. Especially foodie trips away.

Tonight I cooked one of my favourite breakfast dishes. I change the recipe every time I make it, so i'll just give you a basic one, and you can add or take from it as you like. Its very simple and so tasty. I served mine tonight with the home made bread that I made this week. It was so perfect! The picture really doesn't do it justice. I love this dish because of all the different textures in it. You have the runny egg, crunchy cheese and the thick sauce.

Spanish Breakfast (it serves two hungry people if you serve it with bread)
What you will need:
  • One onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 5 mushrooms
  • I red capsicum
  • 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes
  • Half a bunch of dill
  • About one cup of tomato based pasta sauce (I used a wine flavoured one and its perfect)
  • 1/2 cup of cheese
  • I can of can of cannelloni beans
  • two eggs
What to do:
  1. Fry onion and garlic in the bottom of a fry pan until see through.
  2. Add mushrooms (diced) and chilli flakes, cook for 5 minutes
  3. Dice the capsicum quite small, and add.
  4. Once the vegetables are almost cooked add the beans, and tomato sauce.
  5. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring, and then add the dill
  6. With a wooden spoon make push the mix aside to make two holes. Crack the eggs into the holes and cook on low for 2 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle cheese over the top of the whole dish.
  8. Wrap a tea towel over the handle of the frypan (so it doesn't melt) and place it under the grill with the handle sticking out (again so it doesn't melt.)
  9. Let it cook for about 3 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the egg is cooked to your liking.
  10. Serve with fresh bread.
This is so perfect to share and super yummy.

1 comment:

  1. hey, I've just had a look at ur recipes and can't wait to cook them all. will let you know how i go and keep up the good work cherry.

    ReplyDelete