Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chickpea and Roast Vegetable Salad

Tomorrow I have my big assessment day at pastry school for this term. I'm actually a little bit nervous. My cooking partner and I have a few hours to make three types of pastries, one cake, one custard, one soup, two meat dishes, a chutney, a loaf of bread, plate it all up into a five course meal and serve it to the guests. Its so so very much to do. I'm just crossing my fingers that all my doughs rise and bake perfectly.

Its been a pretty hectic day getting ready for all this. My uniform is all neatly pressed so I can get up before six, start school at half past sever, work on my assessment till three thirty and start work at four. After all this (around about seven at night) I'll meet up with my parents for dinner, as they just flew down today for a visit. I'm a little bit overwhelmed to say the least. Throughout the day I called my best friend three times. The first time moody, the second time crying and the third time yelling (not at him, just about life.) I'll be so glad when tomorrow is over and I can have two weeks holidays.

I finished up the last of my homework tonight in typical Cherry style, sitting of the floor drinking a glass of red wine and waiting for my dinner to finnish baking. I made a lovely roast vegetable and chickpea salad out of whatever I could find in my pantry. It turned out really well so I'll write it up for you. Wish me luck for tomorrow and pray I get through the day without any drama's.

'Throw-together' Chickpea and Roast Vegetable Salad

You will need:
  • Whatever roasting vegetables you can find in your fridge and pantry (I used potatoes, baby carrots, eggplant, and sweet potato.)
  • 10 cloves of garlic
  • A splash of olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • One teaspoon chilli flakes
  • One teaspoon of whatever other dried herbs you like
  • Quarter of a cup of red wine
  • 1 can of yummy chickpeas ( I love them)
  • A couple of handfuls of baby spinach
  • Splash of soy source
  • 2 table spoons of sesame oil
What to do:
  1. Roughly cube all your vegetables and put on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and put your hers and garlic (don't peel it) on top.
  2. Bake at 200 until cooked (just keep an eye on them.... maybe around half an hour to 45 minutes)
  3. Half way through baking splash the red wine over them.
  4. Drain and wash chickpeas
  5. And then pretty much mix everything together
  6. Its super simple and yummy.
Well guys I'm wrecked (something to do with cleaning the house, going to school, doing all my homework, cooking dinner and drinking WAY too many coffees today) so I'm off to bed. have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment