Monday, March 14, 2011

Sticky date pudding


Hello everyone, this is the home of my new blog, the last one wasn't working as i wanted it to because apparently it wasn't a blog sight. How was I to know? These things really are a bit beyond me at times. I can add computers to my list of things I don't understand along with politics, science, and how to apply fake tan without looking like a zebra. Luckily this blog is about none of those things.

It is about the one thing I seem to know a bit about.....food. Its also about love, and life, and Melbourne, and cafes. But mainly food. I created it for a challenge, but also to teach myself how to love cooking for myself. Its something I haven't done for a while. A long string of relationships has left me a little confused on how to cook for one person, and more importantly how to just be alone. So if your single (or not) I hope you will be inspired to make beautiful food for yourself and those you love...no strings attached.

Just for a bit of a background (since this is a new blog space and all) I am a young aspiring chef/writer. Im currently studding both pastry and cooking at a small hospitality school in melbourne. I'd love to create a life that is somehow a combination of cooking/love/art/beauty, like if donna hay, nigel lawson, marilyn monroe, and jamie oliver got together and had a baby. Im not really sure how that would work......but its what Im working on. The lifestyle, not getting them all together to ummm well....you get what I mean.

Please feel free to send me in pictures of things you cook, and yummy ideas that inspire you. Have a very very lovely night.


My first recipe for this blog will be something very potent for me. Sticky date pudding. Two people I loved very dearly both loved this desert. I made it in pastry school last week, for the first time just for me. I hope you like it and enjoy making it.

Sticky Date Pudding

You will need:
  • 175g dates
  • 1tsp bicarb soda
  • 75g butter
  • 150g brown sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla essence
  • 170g self raising flour
  • 2 eggs
What to do:
  1. Cook your dates with 3/4 cup of water in a small pot until they are a bit soft.
  2. Add the bicarb and cook for another 5 mins until all the water is gone (the bicarb helps to soften the dates.)
  3. Beat your eggs
  4. And then just mix everything together. Pour the mix into muffin trays and bake at 180 for about 25 minutes
  5. Leave them to set in the tin for about 10 mins before you serve them.


No comments:

Post a Comment