Saturday, April 12, 2014

Chocolate Oat Cookies

There are few things in life that can't be cured by a warm batch of cookies baked at home. In my short twenty four years of life, I have been baking cookies to cure all sorts of sadness. When our family dog died, I baked cookies for my sister and I. We ate them all, drank tea and grieved slowly together. As I have watched relationships flow into my life and once again flow out, I have baked cookies in the middle of the sadness and wiped away a spare tear. One long winter in Melbourne where it felt like the cold had seeped right into my bones, I made cookies twice a week, and would sit at the kitchen bench icing them with intricate patterns until I felt cheered by all the beautiful colours and could get on with my day. 

The problem with cookies however, is that they are not a bullet proof plan. Having the ability bake hundreds of different varieties and flavours doesn't actually protect you from the storms in life. I learnt this over the last six months while I have been absent from the blogging world. Life has just been a little interesting and I (along with my cookie baking skill) just had to take cover for a while. 

Today after work, as I stood in my little kitchen in need of something. I pulled out the flour, I found some oats, dark chocolate and a few other bits and pieces. It was time to make some cookies. After I put them in the oven, ate a decent amount of cookie dough, brewed some tea and procrastinated a lot, I decided it was time to get back to this little blog, and all of you my dear readers and friends. 

So thanks for not minding too much while I went on hiatus, and disappeared on a short journey of the soul. I promise to be about a lot more now, with recipes and stories of good times. 

Much love, Cherry




Chocolate Oat Cookies

150g butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
2 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of dark chocolate chips

Method:

1. In an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and light
2. Slowly add the egg, scraping down the sides as you go.
3. Add the flour, baking powder and oats.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Roll into balls, and press down slightly on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper. 
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 for 11 minutes or until lightly golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment