Saturday, June 15, 2013

How To Make Home Made Bagels

I walked into the cool room at work yesterday and was greeted with the sight of a large box of quinces. They were all beautiful in their wonky looking glory, and wrapped in purple tissue paper.....Im not quite sure why? I was so excited seeing them there ready to be poached and made into a tart to go on our winter menu. Its such a wonderful feeling knowing that people are coming into a restaurant and eating deserts that I have been dreaming up. Its also lovely to just know that the box of quinces are there because I ordered them. 

I really have been falling a little bit in love with my job lately. Dont get me wrong it is NOT all sunshine and roses, but there are just some days where I am so happy to be baking treats for other people to delight in. 

Maybe its not just work that is making me so cheerful. Maybe its this wonderful feeling I have that something grand is about to happen. Im not sure what yet....but Im very certain. I think its the cold weather inspiring this idea. Everything just feels so charming and clean in the cold that you cant help but feel like there is something good just waiting to happen. 

One small lovely thing that happened this week was making bagels. I was surprised at how easy they are to make, and it feels like such a treat having freshly baked breads in the house. Like living in a bakery!

One of the girls doing work experience at my work gave me the recipe. I hope you enjoy it. Dont be intimidated by using yeast. Its really quite easy....just dont worry if it takes longer to rise in the cold weather. 

Home Made Bagels

Ingredients:
300g plain flour
4g salt
15g sugar
3g dry yeast
160 to 170g water (warm)

What to do:

  • Mix all ingredients together to form a ball. The mix should be soft but not too sticky. I added a little extra water. Just make sure you have a nice elastic dough.
  • Knead dough for five minutes and then place in a bowl covered with a wet towel to rest for 20 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into four balls and cover with a damp towel to prove. They should grow about 30 percent. 
  • Next shape the dough into balls with holes in the middle. Leave in a warm place to prove for 20 minutes to an hour or until they have nearly doubled in size.
  • Bring 1.5 liters of water to the boil in a pot along with 1 tablespoon of honey.
  • Gently add one bagel to the water and cook for 30 second on each side. Remove from the water and repeat with the remaining bagels. 
  • Once all the bagels have been boiled place them on an oiled tray and bake in a preheated oven at 210 for 12 to 14 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment