Friday, March 1, 2013

Autumn and Weddings.

My life lately has been so very consumed by work (and dating) and I fear that I haven't had as much time as I would like for some of my favourite things (such as this blog) and people (such as you.) Its crazy how much of your life gets taken up being a pastry chef. Its such an all consuming job at times. Putting in ten hour days and doing seven day weeks is fast becoming the norm for me. Its such a strange burn out existence at times. Speaking of burning, I am not officially covered with the marks of a chef. I come home nearly every day with a new array of burns, scars and cuts. Secretly I like them. They feel like a physical reminder of how much passion I am putting into this job. 

Melbourne is starting to feel a little bit more chilly.....which means sumer has departed us and its time for the anual Ceres Autumn fair, which I'm really excited for. Its a little celebration on a community farm where they have bands, markets and food stalls. Best of all though they have a cake competition. Last year I entered a cake and got third place (I was beaten by two old ladies who have been baking cakes all their lives) and was sorely disappointed. This year I'm planning to win, and give those old ladies a run for there money. Apart from my ego getting involved, I really just like entering to support the event. The farm does some amazing work, and after they judge the cakes they sell them by the slice and all the money goes toward supporting their projects. Its such a fun tradition and I love the idea of celebrating the coming of the cooler weather. If you have any suggestions for what sort of cakes I should enter I would love to hear from you. 



On much more important news, my sister got married recently. It was one of the most magical weekend of my life. There really is something so amazingly inspiring about witnessing two people promising to spend the rest of their lives loving and supporting each other. I cried so many tears of joy for my beautiful sister. I loved getting to share this day with her and contribute in the way of cakes and cookie, and to spend some time with some of my favourite people. My best friend back home was kind enough to let me use her kitchen to bake the cakes in, and supplied my with a constant supply of coffee and wine (she knows me too well) and didn't at all mind when I got 'cake stress.' 


I hope you are all enjoying the change of seasons. I'm off to have a small drink, wrap myself in a blanket and read recipes. Enjoy the wedding photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment