Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chicken Tortillas

Spring is finally here. I can't believe I've made it through yet another Melbourne winter! As the sun comes out I feel like I'm slowly starting to thaw. The cold is seeping out of my bones, and I feel ready to come out of hibernation. Its funny how much of a difference a little sunshine can make. I've been jumping out of bed in the mornings and setting off on jogs around the park. Things seem a bit more possible when its warm. Adventures feel more likely, and instead of opting to head home, now I feel like suggesting going out for pints of cider in the sun.

So to celebrate all this sunshine I decided to head to the park with a couple of friends for our first picnic of the season. It felt glorious to be eating outside. I really can't stress enough how happy this warm weather is making me. I feel like a different person.

Anyway.....I got very inspired and decided to make some treats for us to eat while we drank our cider in the sunshine. I made some chicken tacos which I must say were delicious, and then for desert we had spiced cookie sandwiches with peanut butter and chocolate filling (because that totally goes with my whole 'getting fit for summer' thing......oh well, you have to live....and cookie sandwiches are truly living.) The idea for cookie sandwiches came from a mish mash of left overs. I had some chocolate gnash from a chocolate cake I had make earlier in the week, and the cookies were left over from a batch I had made on Sunday but never got around to icing......and well everyone just loves peanut butter. I could very easily get addicted to this new treat. I'll give you the recipe for this later in the week.



Lets talk about chicken tortilla's. They are so yummy and incredibly easy to make. For some reason most people are intimidated by making bread of any sort (even though its easy) but this my friend doesn't even have yeast (or any of that scary jazz) so its just a matter of mixing and kneading and rolling......no big deal at all. You can really do whatever you want for the filling. I marinated chicken is some garlic and spices and then grilled it. Then we added some store bought dips, organic mescaline mix, and avocado. Its perfect for shared park food, because you can make it up on the spot and its not too messy to eat.



So make it.... get out into the park.....and enjoy this wonderful sun!!

Tortillas
(Makes 18)
4 cups of plain flour
50g of butter
1 tsp of salt
2 and 1/2 cups of boiling water


  1. In a large bow,l rub the butter into the flour and salt until the mix resembles bread crumbs.
  2. Pour in the boiling water.
  3. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mix comes together.
  4. Pour out onto a floured surface and knead for two minutes until smooth.
  5. Divide the mix into 18 equal portions.
  6. Roll each piece into a circle. They should be quite thin and about 20 cm round.
  7. Heat a non stick fry pan and add a few drops of oil.
  8. Cook the tortillas one at a time for about 1 minute on each side.
  9. Place them in a stack, covered with a tea towel to keep them warm while the rest are cooking.

Spiced Chicken

4 chicken thighs
1tsp of chilli flakes
2tsp of smoked paprika
1tsp of thyme
2tbs of soy source
1tsp of sesame oil
2 cloves of crushed garlic
2 tbs of oil
1tsp of turmeric

  1. Mix all the ingredients in with the chicken in a bowl.
  2. Massage the chicken to make sure everything is mixed through.
  3. Cover and place in the fridge  for an hour.
  4. Take the chicken out of the fridge and put in a preheated not stick frying pan.
  5. Cooking the chicken, turning occasionally, on both sides, at a medium heat until cooked though (you can always cut into it if you are unsure.)
  6. Slice the chicken up into small pieces.
Bring your other favourite fillings for the tortillas and roll them up!!



No comments:

Post a Comment