- Rug up.....as much as freaking possible. I'm talking about hat, globes, scarf, boots, and thermals. You may feel a bit stupid at times.....but you will be happy. Happy and stupid looking
- Cook soup......soup makes everything a little better.
- Braise meat dishes....there is something sooooo very soothing about a big pot of something delightful simmering away on your stovetop.
- Eat cake..........just do it.
- Go for a long run, it warms you up and counteracts all the cake eating.
- Chocolate and raspberry sandwiches for breakfast...... don't judge it until you have tried it.
- Take a lover......... one of my friends and I spent a night recently talking about how awful the term 'lover' is. Its just soooooo yicky. I think curling up with a special person by a fire with some soup is wonderful and romantic.........unfortunately I'm lacking a fire place, and a lover this winter. No big deal, there's always next winter.
- Dance........You don't even have to go out. At least once a week I put on some music, climb up onto a chair (it makes me feel taller) and dance in front of my housemate as she watches slightly bewildered and confused.
- Get stuck into tea, coffee, hot chocolates and chia.
- Afternoon naps.
- Bake something......just being near the oven helps so very much.
- Get inspired. This really helps to shake the blues.......find something you love doing, and do it.
- Wear your ex boyfriends jumper. It will look awful but it will feel so good (don't act like you don't have one.....we all secretly do.)
- Go to bed early.
- Make a Hummingbird cake. It sounds sunny. It tastes sunny, and it will make you FEEL sunny.
1 1/4 cup of self raising gluten free flour
1 cup of hazelnut meal
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of mixed spice
1/4 cup of rice bran oil
1 cup of mashed banana
450g of crushed pineapple in its juice
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp of caster sugar
What to do:
- Mix together flour, hazelnut meal, coconut, sugar and spices.
- In a separate bowl mix together pineapple, oil, the yolks of both eggs and the mashed banana.
- Combine the two mixes.
- With an electric beater, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Rain in the 1 tsp of sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatular gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the cake into a cake tin that has been oiled and lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven (preheat the oven first!!! I always forget to mention this!) at 170 and bake for 45 to 50 minutes
40g of soft butter
125 g of soft cream cheese
1 cup of icing sugar
A squeeze of lemon juice
- Beat together butter and cream cheese until incorporated
- Add icing sugar.
- Add lemon juice.
- Taste it........like like the spoon a lot because its going to taste great! But also check to see if it needs more lemon or sugar. It really all depends on how sweet you like it.
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/4 cup of dried cranberries (or craisins.... they are sometimes called that too....and I think it sounds very strange.)
1/4 or a lemon rind finely grated.
- In a fry pan place the walnuts on medium heat stirring continually.
- When the nuts begin to look a little toasty add the coconut.....this shouldn't need too long. Stir constantly because the coconut burns really fast.
- Remove from heat when the coconut is slightly brown and the walnuts toasted.
- Let the mix cool and add the cranberries and lemon rind.
- Ice the cake with the cream cheese frosting and then sprinkle with the nut mix.