Friday, July 13, 2012

Chocolate and Raspberry Gluten Free Tarts

This week I have been thinking a lot about creativity. I believe there is a fine line between just making a mess and learning technique so you can channel creative energy. Sometimes you can get so very caught up in the technique that you can forget to be creative though.......its all about balance I suppose.


Life feels so much more lovely when I am consciously spending time doing creative things..........but sometimes its not so simple. Creativity for me often takes on a very solitary role and being so crazy social I really have to force myself to sit down and internationalise it. Its so lovely when something beautiful comes out of this though, and so worth while.



So I have been baking away, trying out new recipes, inventing recipes and icing cookies for hours and hours on end........

Also I stayed up half the night last night 'redecorating' my friends furniture......because we badly needed to have a creative outlet......It was so lovely.



I made a tart recipe with gluten free pastry as I was getting frustrated with not being able to find any gluten free treats to eat. I hope you enjoy them, and I hope they make you feel creative.....and full of life.

Gluten Free Chocolate and Raspberry Tarts........ I could seriously eat these all day. Makes 8 small tarts.

For the pastry:
 85 g of melted butter
2/3 cup of shredded coconut
100g almond meal
1/2 cup of brown sugar



  • Mix everything together and press mixture into some small tart shells.
  • Place the tart shells in the fridge to set for half an hour or until firm.
  • Cook in a preheated over with baking paper and baking weights at 160 for 10 minutes.
  • Remove the baking weights and cook for another 10 minutes or until starting to turn slightly golden.
  • Remove tart shells from the oven and let cool slightly. Using your fingers press the pastry flat into the shell if it has risen at all, so that it is compact and smooth.

For the filling:
1/2 cup of raspberries
1 egg
110g dark chocolate
2/3 cup of cream
2 tsp vanilla essence

  • Place a couple of berries into each tart shell
  • In a pot bring the cream and vanilla to the boil. Take of the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
  • Whisk the egg and slowly pour the chocolate mix over the top while whisking.
  • Divide the mix between the tart shells and bake at 160 for 20 minutes or until set around the sides but still slightly wobbly in the middle. 
  • Let cool.

Meringue topping:
2 egg whites
110g caster sugar



  • With and electric whisk beat egg whites until bubbly.
  • Slowly rain in sugar and continue to beat until thick and glossy.
  • Pipe swirls or meringue on top of the tarts.
  • Place under a grill (watch them carefully) until they become slightly brown and the meringue is a little firm on the outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment