Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Being left with chocolate cake.


"One large, weak soy flat white?" the owner of my local coffee shop enquires as I walk in the door.
"Yes please," I answer. Its nice to be known so well. This place is quickly becoming a second home to me.
"And how are you today?" he asks.
"I'm good. A boy is leaving me though."
"Today?"
"Yes in an hour so I have to run to the shops, buy ingredients, and then get home to cook him breakfast."
"Get out of here," he yells at me playfully. "Go say goodbye to your man."

So thats exactly what I do. On my walk home I ponder the wisdom of having gotten into a short romance with a boy who has six personalities. One never intends on doing this, but sometimes it just happens. At first it was strange, sharing my life, for a short period with some many characters, but after a while, when I was properly acquainted with them all I found it fine. I also found it endearing. I tend to get bored quickly in a relationship if there is not enough quirks. There has been plenty of quirks for the week and a half that I have spent with an old friend. Never a bull moment.

I have gotten very attached to the lifestyle of waking early, walking to the coffee shop, buying fresh bread and coming home to cook breakfast for a boy. Today was my last day in this routine, and I'm sad to see it end. Will I be sad? Yes. I will be. He has left me with a messy room, trashed with empty coffee cups, one red cardigan, and a small pile of cash 'to buy food with.'

"Crying is the best release of emotions," he told me before he left.
This is true, but instead, I think I'll bake a cake. I like my way of dealing with things. It works for me. So after he leaves I pull out my pots and pans, cake tins, and switch on the oven. Todays concoction is a flour less chocolate and almond cake. I have no cooking chocolate so I melt down all my left over birthday chocolates and whisk in eggs, butter, vanilla and almond meal. I drop some chocolate coated almonds on top to give it some crunch. I think I've posted this recipe before so I wont waste your time making you read it again.

If a boy leaves you, one who you think is truly beautiful, despite being a little crazy, you should make this cake. It soothes the soul, and is much better than a big cry. Your not left with dirty wet tissues, but instead chocolatey goodness. Thats my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment