Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chocolate chip Cookies



I spent this weekend in Noosa. My lovely lovely home town. Its so incredibly gorgeous that I can't believe I was lucky enough to grow up there. As i sat in Bistro C having breakfast with a friend, I kept looking out at the ocean and thinking "this was once my home!!" From my table I could see the spot where all my friends and I used to go fire twirling, the place my boyfriend and I used to picnic, and the bench over looking the ocean where I used to sit with one of my girlfriends talking for hours. I have so many memories of these places. I sometimes wish I could go back and experience them all again. To eat dinner under the stars every night, and make bon fires on the beach. But it feels like so long ago, and I feel like a different person.

It was amazing to see my family, and be back on the farm. I think sometimes we have to go back to our roots, to get inspired, so we can remember why we are doing what we are doing. While sitting around with everyone, I remembered some little forgotten dreams, that I never have time to think about while I'm in the city. It was a good reminder of what Im actually doing, and who I am.

My family is amazing, and they were all very hard to leave. I got a bit teary coming back on the plane. Going home brought a lot of things into perspective for me and I almost didn't want to leave. As my plane descended through a dark layer of thick clouds everywhere looked cold and bleak. My lovely city Melbourne didn't seem at all welcoming, and I hated her for a while. I hated her as I got off the plane into the cold. I hated her as I got lost in the airport. I hated her as I caught the bus and then the train back to my town. I hated her as I struggled with my heavy bag into the supermarket to pick up some ingredients for dinner. But then something changed. As I walked around Coles buying wine, chocolate chips, vegetables and other such things I bumped into the most gorgeous man. We both apologised and smiled at each other. Again at the deli we ran into each other, and as I smiled shyly to myself he asked me what I was buying to cook with. I told him I was making chocolate chip cookies, and he seemed to enjoy this idea. We talked for a while and mostly I think he was just amused that someone would do there food shopping in a tailored cream coat, white stockings, a dress and black heels. We said goodbye and smiled (a lot) and left. Suddenly I loved Melbourne again. She was my best friend.

I caught a cab home and baked my cookies. I drank some wine and ate some dinner. I'm a wee bit home sick, and I miss the freedom of how easy life was in Noosa. But Melbourne, she's not so bad. The cookie recipe I made was one of Donna Hay's. Its really yummy, and I made it for a bit of comfort food to cheer me up. Hope you enjoy it.

Donna Hays Chocolate Chip Cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment