Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Beetroot Salad

I'm a wee bit uptight at the moment. The 'to do' list in my head goes on and on for what feels like ten thousand pages. Even when I have nothing pressing to do I can think of at least ten recipes I want to try out, six chapters of text books I want to get read, four major paperwork projects I really need to do, ten people I haven't contacted in way too long and should call, and six cleaning jobs around the house.

I cant sit still, I can't stop, I can't focus on one thing, and have no idea what to do about it. When I'm sitting on the train coming home I sometimes notice that my feet aren't sitting flat on the ground, but curled up, balancing on my pointed toes. I'm just having trouble letting go. Also I'm finding that coffee in not a suitable substitute for sleep. I thought maybe it could be the answer to all my problems.........but instead its leaving me feeling nervous and frazzled (This makes me feel a bit betrayed, because my relationship with coffee has been one of my longest relationships I've ever had. We have been a bit on and off at times. Mainly though, it has been there for me in my darkest times, helping me through fourteen hour shifts in kitchens, and keeping me company in many a cafe.)

I nearly feel asleep ten times in class today, and the lesson from this was.........don't through a dinner party on a monday night. This is unfortunate though, because if anyone loves a dinner party its me. Its something I know I can do well. In life I'm aware of the fact that paper work isn't my thing, neither is chemistry, science, directions, crosswords, maps, or confrontation..........but a dinner party I can do. I feel most in my element when shopping for the perfect ingredients, planning a menu, setting a table, and making sure everyone has a full drink. I love it. However I think in future I will save these things for weekends.

Last night for my little dinner party I made a beetroot salad. Here is the recipe for it.
This is what you will need:
  • 4 beetroots
  • 1/4 a cup of red wine vinegar
  • Small handful of goats cheese
  • I bunch of basil
  • 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
  • Seasoning
What to do:
  1. Cut your beetroots into quarters. Place in a pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer. They may take quite a while to cook depending on how large the beet. You can test them by sticking in a fork. They will be cooked when it slides in easily.
  2. Run beetroots under cold water and rub of the skin.
  3. Cut into small pieces.
  4. Roughly chop basil.
  5. Mix everything together and sprinkle with the cheese
  6. And eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment