Friday, April 1, 2011

Owning our lives.




Owning our own lives is such a bizarre concept. Its such a simple idea that we often miss it. We rush around everyday doing all the things we should do or are meant to do not even aware of why we are doing them. One of my very favourite movies 'The Last Holiday' is about a lady who spends her whole life wanting to be a chef, but instead working in a department store and eating diet food. One day after a fall at work the doctor informs her that she has some sort of fatal illness and will probably die in the next few months. So she takes all her savings out of her account, goes on a trip to a lovely resort, eats amazing food, meets amazing people and starts living like she always wanted to. What I wonder is, why don't we do this everyday. I understand everyone has responsibilities and things that need to be done but we can still take ownership over those things, make them beautiful in some unique way and enjoy them.

I got thinking about this concept today while i was at school. On my lunch break I was rushing around in the city looking for something to eat and the whole time worrying about getting back to class on time. Suddenly I realised I really had no reason to stress. It probably wouldn't have mattered if I took an hour off and didn't even tell anyone. It is after all my life. I rushed back anyway and spent the rest of the day feeling very serious about cakes. The problem is, no matter how well mine turn out I will always be looking at someone else's work and thinking "wow there cake is better than mine." Such a waist of time. Really what I should have been doing all day is owning my life and thinking "you know what, I'm at pastry school, because I want to be here, and I'm going to enjoy it."

Lets start finding the beauty in life again people. Life is about perspective. What do you want? What do you really really want? How can you make it happen, and how can you make what's happening now beautiful?

We made some really beautiful cakes at school today. They looked so lovely when they were finished. It was quite an exhausting day though. Aft en school I went and sat at a little roof top bar in the city. I made friends with two English lads (who I might add lacked a little....personality) but it was nice to sit in the sun and sip some pear cider.

I have decided to stay home on this lovely Friday night because it was all I really felt like doing. I'm pretty tired and just wanted to curl up in bed with some red wine a movie and check out some food blogs that I've been meaning to read. Ive been discovering some really amazing food blogger.

Well I'm off to enjoy my night in. Have a lovely Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment