Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Brioche



Walking down the street today I saw a boy I liked. We were both polite and had a little chat then went our different ways. I turned to my friend next to me and asked "was that awkward?" just in case i had imagined the strain I had felt holding together a conversation. She told me she could barely stop herself from laughing the whole time.

I have no idea what is wrong with this guy. On the way to school today two men wolf whistled at me, and four cars beeped. I don't want to be arrogant, because its not that I think I'm all that.....but today I looked good. My stockings matched my scarf, my jacket matched my shoes and my dress matched my eyes. For goodness sake i was wearing knee high stiletto boots. Even my undies matched my bra (not that he would have known this, or anyone else for that matter)

None of these stupid dates I have been going on seem to be working. I have no idea why? I'm a nice girl! I care about things. I'm smart. I'm interesting. I'm only 21 and I feel like I have lived a lot. In two years time I will be both a qualified chef and pastry chef. For goodness sake men, I can bake bred from scratch! From scratch! That's got to count for something doesn't it? One man that I was interested in recently confessed that he was intimidated by me....because I wasn't stupid, and then it ended. This confused me no end.

The dating world is like yeast. It needs water and food....but most importantly the right temperature. The perfect temperature for making bread is the same as your blood (between 25 and 35 degrees.) If you leave it to prove in a cold place it simply wont grow. Too hot however and it wont survive. Even if you get the temperature right but leave it too long your yeast will grow, eat all the food (flour and water) and then die. Its such a game of balance. When you get it right though, and your dough is the perfect texture, it is so amazingly satisfying.

We are focusing on yeast goods this week at school. Maybe I could learn something from it. Tomorrow I will be baking focaccia, brioche (which is heaven), savarin paste, danish paste, and chelsea buns. So very very beautiful. I sat in class watching the teacher kneading and stirring, and I could hardly hold in my excitement. It was a miracle I didn't jump up and start cheering half way through the lesson.

If you would like to give my idea of heaven a shot, here is a brioche recipe for you. Don't worry its easier to make then dating Melbourne boys. Hope you enjoy it

Brioche
What you will need:
  • 250g flour
  • 100ml of milk
  • 15g of fresh yeast (if you want to use dried yeast thats fine, just use 7.5 g instead)
  • 25g butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 3g salt
What to do:
  1. Sift your flour
  2. Warm your milk to room temperature and then add your yeast. Stir until it dissolves.
  3. Add your salt and sugar to your flour.
  4. Add your milk yeast mix and your eggs.
  5. Cut your butter into small chunks and add it bit by bit to your mix. Stirring it in and pushing it against the side of the bowl so that it becomes Incorporated. The consistency should be that of a thick pancake mix. If its still too runny add a bit more flour.
  6. Cover with glad wrap and let it prove for about half an hour till an hour.
  7. Butter and dust some moulds with flour (you can use a muffin tin
  8. Knock back your dough with a spoon (basically just give it a whack with a spoon)
  9. Fill your moulds with dough about 3/4 full.
  10. Let prove for another half an hour.
  11. Bake at 200 for 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment